Re: [Groff] .ss problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] .ss problem
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:01:07 +0200 (CEST)

> > Before fixing, a general question.  In Unix troff, .ss is ignored
> > if in nroff mode.  Shall GNU troff behave identically if
> > compatibility mode is on?  Does it really make sense to `cripple'
> > GNU troff for compatibility reasons?
>
> What defines GNU troff thinking it is in nroff mode?

This is exactly the problem.  Looking at the functionality, there is
no difference at all between troff and nroff mode in GNU troff.
Making .ss not working if in compatibility mode *and* if in nroff mode
is really artificial.  Until now, the only result of using the
`.nroff' command to activate nroff mode is that `.if n' yields true.
There are no other built-in dependencies.

I now think that it is better to have always a working `.ss',
independently of nroff or troff mode.  As a consequence, I'll undo the
(buggy) changes regarding `.ss'.