Re: [Groff] So ... where's the postscript file?

From: james
Subject: Re: [Groff] So ... where's the postscript file?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 21:20:41 +0100

Thankyou very much, I am very grateful. I tried troff test.troff >
but it didn't output a vaid PS file, but it seems that's OK with groff, the
GNU version. But anway, I am totally ignorant of these commands at the
moment and still have some learning to do before I can get my book in the
layout I want.

Is there a manual page for newbies for the other troff things, like pic,
eqn, tbl, and the indexing tool? I'll reboot in Linux and take a look and
hang out on this list and see if I can pick some things up.

Is there a tutorial somewhere on the net which I can use to practise writing
macros? I'm thinking of using W Richard Stevens' macros, which he used to
write his books, UNIX Network Programming, TCP/IP Illustrated, Advanced
Programming in the UNIX Environment. His books are beautiful so I think I'll
use his macros. They are on his site,

Thanks for your help. :-) Oh by the way, is there a program for viewing
postscript files on Windows? I have cygwin so I have groff and the others,
and are there freely available macro packages hiding somewhere on GNU?