Re: [Groff] -mm incompatibility with troff

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] -mm incompatibility with troff
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:29:20 -0400 (EDT)

Andrew Koenig writes:

> Yes, the default value on mine is 3 3 2 2 2 2.   I agree it isn't vitally
> important, but I would think it would be better for the default to be the
> same on troff and groff.

After taking a quick look around at the various systems here that have
troff, it seems that different versions of troff have different
defaults.  2 2 2 2 2 2 2 and 3 3 2 2 2 2 2 seem to be equally common, so
I don't think a change is warranted.

> Larry> The second difference is more interesting; I'm guessing it's a bug in
> Larry> .SP, but I'd have to do some digging to be sure.
>
> Incidentally, it happens with .H also, not just .HU.

.HU is just an alias for .H 0, so that's not surprising.

-Larry Jones

I stand FIRM in my belief of what's right!  I REFUSE to
compromise my principles! -- Calvin