Re: [Groff] Font families and styles

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Font families and styles
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 10:58:07 +0200 (CEST)

>   - Rotis (Adobe) has (among others) RG (roman) RGI (italic) RGB (bold)
> Of course, I can't use
>   .fam RG (because) groff will expect a RGR font.
> I know I could rename RG --> RGR (or create a symbolic link), but I don't
> like the idea. Is there a way to have:
>
> \fR --> RG
> \fI --> RGI
> \fB --> RGB

In groff, if you use styles, the real font name is always the
concatenation of the font family and the style (the latter can't be
empty).

However, you can use the .ftr request to directly map `R' to `RG',
circumventing the font style mechanism:

  .ftr R RG

Not very elegant, though, because a font family change is ignored:

  .ftr R RG
  .fam RG
  .ft R
  This is a test                 -> RG
  .fam H
  .ft R
  This is a test                 -> also RG instead of HR

BTW, why don't you like the idea of renaming RG to RGR?  Using RG is
against the groff rules of naming a font in an orthogonal manner IMHO.