address@hidden: Re: [Groff] surprise, surprise]

From: Jon Snader
Subject: address@hidden: Re: [Groff] surprise, surprise]
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 07:21:11 -0400

I sent this to Ted instead of the whole list.  Here are some pointers
to troff source for those that are interested.  Also, here's the link
to the Caldera announcement:
<http://news.linuxprogramming.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-08-20-003-06-CD>.

If I remember correctly, the sources to ditroff are on the 4.4BSD tape.
That's available (as a CD) from Kirk McKusick.  If anyone's interested,
I'll hunt up the link.

jcs

----- Forwarded message from Jon Snader <address@hidden> -----

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 04:38:57PM +0100, Ted Harding wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
> >
> > The Plan 9 source (which is essentially Bell Labs troff)
>
> Don't I wish I had a copy !!!

You can download Plan 9 for free from
<http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/index.html>.  You can also order
a CD and manual from Vita Nuova--see the above page for details.

> So I propose FIRST that, for the purposes of groff, we debate on
> what "UNIX troff" really means. I don't think I have an objection to
> Plan 9 troff, even though from my point of view it's still a pig
> in a poke (Don't I wish I had a copy !!!). If we had access to the
> 1992 ditroff code (which seems to be what inspired JC -- see
> "man groff-out"), then I think we could settle for that. I'm not sure
> what relationship DWB bears with that. But I think we need to
> designate something _definite_ and _verifiable_ for "UNIX troff".
> As things stand, Plan 9 troff has both attributes (and, as
> Ralph has just demonstrated, has the advantage that we can consult
> the source code whenever we wonder about "bug" vs "feature").

Caldera, the current owner of the Unix source code has indicated that
it intends to release (at least some components of) the source code
for Open Unix 8.  In the mean time, you can download some older versions
of Unix from <http://shop.caldera.com/caldera/ancient.html>.  They have
the source for SysIII (~1982) and some older versions available.

> I am against going for commercial variants (Solaris, XENIX, ... )
> because it is known that these were often changed in details from
> the originals (no matter how fine their documentation might be).

The most modern version of Troff that I know of that has source available
is the Solaris version.  Again, you can get source code either on CD (for
about $75) or as a free download (after you register and agree to their
license).  See <http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/source/>.

Jon Snader

----- End forwarded message -----