Re: [Groff] inconsistencies with color specification

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] inconsistencies with color specification
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:14:33 +0200 (CEST)

> > I propose to require both commands m and DF to have 3 arguments
> > each of which can arbitrarily be specified as a float or a hex
> > number in C style.  This could be naturally done by calling the
> > parser's get_string() function thrice.  Moreover there are
> > standard C library functions to handle the transformation.
>
> yes I think this would be cleaner. Maybe it would be simpler for the
> ditroff color commands m and DF to standardise on using 4 byte hex
> numbers for each color component. This way we can remove the need to
> read in floating point values and 2 byte hex strings in input.cc.

I'll do some changes here to improve it.  Some fixes are necessary to
have good TTY support.  Please be patient a week or two.

> Minor note: I wonder whether we should be using cmyk as the
> interface between troff and its devices, rather than the rgb scheme?

I would argue exactly the opposite: Using RGB everywhere.  Since the
conversion between RGB and CMYK is lossless (at least as groff is
handling this), we can save one variable, making the intermediate
troff output smaller.