Re: [Groff] troff(1) and info

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] troff(1) and info
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 20:37:54 -0000 (GMT)

On 03-Nov-01 I wrote:
> On 03-Nov-01 Larry Kollar wrote:
>> Ghostview doesn't display bookmarks... are there any free PDF
>> readers that do?
>
> Depends what you mean by "free".
>
> Acrobat Reader does it, and is available for free download
> ( http://www.adobe.com ).
>
> However, it's not FSF/GPL-free, and I don't know of a viewer,
> free in this sense, which does display these things.

Someone mentioned xpdf. When I had tried this (with an old
xpdf) there was pretty well no support for pdfMarks.

I've now been looking at a more recent one (xpdf version 0.92
Copyright 1996-2000 Derek B. Noonburg) and it now does better.

However, while it does follow links (including executable
links) it still apparently doesn't respect bookmarks,
thumbnails or "Notes" (pop-up annotations).

With the list's indulgence, I'm attaching some small files.
These are

a) two linked PDF documents which I made some time ago to
   demonstrate pdfMarks (bookmarks, thumbnails, notes, links)

b) the two troff source files from which these were generated
   (to show how pdfMark is done in groff).

The point is: Save the files in a directory and therein view
the PDF files first with Acrobat Reader (and follow the
instructions); then try them with xpdf, and note the difference.

Attached: pdfmk_1.pdf pdfmk_2.pdf ; pdfmk_1.tr pdfmk_2.tr

[BTW: recent acroread seems to want to put the "Notes" in the
 wrong place; I don't know why. Older versions are OK]

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972