Re: [Groff] Possible Difference Between Bell Labs and GNU?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Possible Difference Between Bell Labs and GNU?
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 00:47:18 +0100 (CET)

> It's a very simple awk script, downloadable from
> http://troff.org/source.html

Thanks for the info.  Will do that soon.

> > groff's eqn is heavily based on TeX, using many features of it to
> > improve formula handling.  So it is probably a feature to have
> > such small differences.
>
> How would one write `Data sub {n-1}' in that toungue whose name I
> will not mention here and I'll try and give it a go.

Do you mean Lord Voldemort, ahem, TeX?

Try this:

  $\hbox{Data}_{n-1}$
  \bye

Of course, this uses the TeX's CM fonts and not Times Roman.

> Here's GNU pic.
>
>     % ( echo .PS ; echo line dotted ; echo .PE ) | pic
>     \h'0.050i'\v'0.000i'\D'l0.000i 0.000i'
>
> And AIX pic, probably similiar to Bentley's.
>
>     $ ( echo .PS ; echo line dotted ; echo .PE ) | pic
>     \h'0.050i'\&.
>
> So GNU ends up producing PostScript that draws a line from point X
> to point X resulting in a very pale dot.  Bell Labs use a full stop.

You can force pic to do the same if you specify the -n option.

Alternatively, try to experiment with the `linethick' variable.