Re: [Groff] Typesetting sqrt with geqn

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting sqrt with geqn
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:22:42 -0000 (GMT)

On 12-Feb-02 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> > Using v 1.17.2, consider the following:
>> >
>> > .EQ
>> > sqrt { x }
>> > .EN
>> >
>> > I'm finding that the "radicalex" character is offset to the right
>> > of the radical sign by the width of the "radicalex" character when
>> > no size changes are made to the radical sign.
>
> I can't reproduce this, neither with dvi nor ps (using xdvi and gs
> for screen display).

Hi Werner (et al.)
The following was Gary's private reply to me, following
my suggestion to the list. It looks as though it solved
the problem! (Shot in the dark, though.)

Best wishes,
Ted.
=======================================
Thanks for pointing this out.
I was using a modified set of font metrics,
which appear to have introduced this odd behavior.
Running geqn & gtroff against the supplied PostScript
font tables does indeed "do the right thing".
It looks like I'll need to revisit the various customizations
I've made to my fonts/macros over the years.
Thanks again.
--
Gary E. RAFE, PhD
address@hidden