Re: [Groff] Re: Restructuring the top level directory

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Restructuring the top level directory
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:56:32 +0000

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:34:56AM +0100, Bernd Warken wrote:
> I chose to group the source subdirectories "tmac", "font", and "doc"
> into a new subdirectory "share" because that's where they will be
> installed according to the FHS.

I think it's rather pointless to move these. Firstly, FHS systems will
install them in /usr/share/groff/tmac or /usr/share/groff/<version>/tmac
etc. anyway; secondly, I don't think directory structures should be
deepened without good reason, especially when there are only seven
subdirectories off the top level of the groff source in the first place.

Moving files around in the source tree frivolously only makes CVS
revision history harder to track and makes the job of those of us who
maintain diffs against the groff source more tedious. (Migrating from
1.16 to 1.17 was quite painful enough as it was.)

Thanks,

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden