Re: [Groff] A less than trivial indexing problem and an erroneous soluti

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] A less than trivial indexing problem and an erroneous solution
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 02:57:59 +0200 (CEST)

> > Here you have to insert `.br'.  But `.di' includes the current
> > partial outline line also which is not what you want.  `.box' is
> > your friend...
>
> I did it as seen below, which is almost the way you proposed.
> However, I had to switch off hyphenation inside the diversions.

Ah, yes.  You should always start diversions/boxes with

  .box foo
  .ev foo      \# start a new environment
  .evc 0       \# copy contents of top-level environment
  .in 0        \# no indentation
  .nf          \# no formatting
  .br          \# flush current partial output line
  .ev          \# pop environment
  .box

The environment stuff is not essential but may avoid nasty side
effects.  `.in' and `.nf' are important.  Have a look into doc.tmac
which uses boxes.

> I experimented with chopping the box before executing it, but by
> losing its new line it also seems to be impossible to run.  Instead
> it seems to print the next line in the macro.

Chopping works only once.  Again, doc.tmac should give you plenty of
examples.

> The indexing information comes out very nicely, but the diverted text
> seems still not entirely "asciified" (seen in the bibliography on very
> first page on http://laurentius.lub.lu.se/search/bibliography/mh.ps
> there are some terrible pages forther on, but there are presumably
> other problems in my XSLT script contributing to that)

Please send me a small groff source code example for further
examination.