[Groff] Macro path and /usr/local

From: Colin Watson
Subject: [Groff] Macro path and /usr/local
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 01:52:29 +0100

Hi folks,

It's occurred to me that the macro path in the current Debian packaging
of groff has no provision for site-specific installation of macros in
/usr/local. The current macro path is:

  /usr/lib/groff/site-tmac
  /usr/share/groff/site-tmac
  /usr/share/groff/1.17.2/tmac
  /usr/share/groff/tmac (added by me for backward compatibility)

Now, I'm somewhat confused by this part of groff/Makefile.in:

  # systemtmacdir says where to install platform-dependent macros
  systemtmacdir=$(libprogramdir)/site-tmac

  # localtmacdir says where local files will be installed
  localtmacdir=$(dataprogramdir)/site-tmac

Since I build with --prefix=/usr, libprogramdir is /usr/lib/groff while
dataprogramdir is /usr/share/groff. I have to say that I can't think of
any plausible reason for platform-dependent (does this mean
architecture-dependent?) macros, and I think localtmacdir ought to point
to something in /usr/local. Can anyone clarify the intent of these
comments for me?

What would people think about moving systemtmacdir to
/usr/share/groff/site-tmac and localtmacdir to
/usr/local/share/groff/site-tmac? This is consistent with how I
understand the FHS, but, if any other packagers are reading this list,
I'd be interested to hear what you do.

Thanks,

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden