Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] documentation on macro writing
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 21:58:10 +0200

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 04:46:19PM +0200, Erich Hoffmann wrote:

> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Bernd Warken wrote:
>
> >There seems to exist some need for a groff document on macro programming;
> >the wish for such a documentation was uttered already several times.
> >So we should start a project for a new groff manual with the subjects
>
> This would be of great use and I'd welcome it a lot.

There are many open projects running in groff.

> In this case, if there are plans to have a german translation

Translating the existing documentation is clearly wanted :-)

> manual perhaps I can assist or try to write a part of it --- with some
> supervising, though. Programming is not my strength, but I studied
> german philology once (a looong time ago, I changed profession since
> then).  Well I don't want to intrude, there will be enough people much
> more apt for such a task than me.

You are exactly the right guy for writing this manual.  Programmers hate
writing documentation.  You do not need to know anything about a subject
you want to write about.  You'll  learn it when writing :-)

For us Europeans, this is quite hard to believe, but that's how America
was built.  And because Europe is better than America (of course!), we
have to show 'em ;-)

So just go ahead.  Once there is a good frame for a documentation it's
easier to motivate contributors.

Bernd Warken