Re: [Groff] UTP Transcription Project

From: Stewart Russell
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP Transcription Project
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 14:48:10 -0400

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

16%, that's pretty good.

and remember, that's 16% of already heavily compressed data!

Shame DjVu isn't more widely know, especially
given DjVuLibre, http://djvu.sourceforge.net/

I dunno if it really solves problems that many people have. I mean, yes, if you're in the scanned document archiving business, it might be useful, but for everyone else, PDF will do.

The only application I can think of where DjVu would be perfect is online comic delivery -- high resolution lettering over lower resolution colour artwork. I'm actually working with that concept with a friend right now ...

Dunno if anyone wants to host these files somewhere.
Not sure what the copyright situation is on that :-(

I'm sure it would be okay for the purposes of this transcription project amongst a limited audience.

On a related note, I've emailed Tim O'Reilly letting him know what we're
up to and seeking permission after the fact effectively.

I thought Werner did this some time ago, no?

 Stewart