Re: [Groff] CW problems

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] CW problems
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 07:42:51 -0400

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 12:20:59PM +0200, Bernd Warken wrote:

> Font `R' is `Roman', the variably-spaced default font.
> `CR' is `Constant Roman'.
> `CW' seems to be some anachronism.

My memory (which is certainly suspect) is that CW was introduced with
groff.  Certainly the ``old'' documents don't talk about it.  I have
been using it for constant width font (I always think of it as ``Courier,''
even though that's not strictly true) for many years.

> A nice feature for `CW' would be to switch into the constant analogue
> of the actual font (e.g. I -> CI), but that does not exist so far.

Unfortunately, CW's use as ``constant width'' is well established, and
changing its semantics would break existing files.  As usual, I am against
any change like this that isn't backwards compatible.

Jon Snader