Re: [Groff] strings with arguments

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] strings with arguments
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 00:14:41 +0200

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 11:38:00PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> I've just committed some code which implements strings with arguments.
>
> PS: It is *not* possible to make macros with arguments be called
>     inline.  The complications caused by newlines are too hairy.

Now I can see the difficulties.  I had in mind some kind of Pascal
`function', while a groff macro is like a Pascal `procedure'.
This seems to be impossible at the moment.  Consequently, OOP is out
of reach.  So I won't bother you with this before the next release.

The strings with arguments work fine :-)  I use them already in my
Gutenberg macro package, which will soon be released in a first version.

Bernd Warken