Re: [Groff] UTP style?

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP style?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:30:12 -0400

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 05:10:03PM -0700, Meg McRoberts wrote:

> The centered two-column tables are bothering me, though, and those were not
> in the original book.  Do the -ms/utp macros allow a table inside a .Ps?  That
> would get the two-column tables lined up with the other indents on the page
> easily -- I think it would improve the appearance of the pages significantly.

The .Ps macro changes to Courier and sets no fill mode, so that's not what
you want to do here.  The tables aren't centered unless someone asks them
to be.  If you want the tables to be left justified on the page with a (say)
5n indent, you can do it like this:

        Here is an uncentered table:
        .in +5n
        .TS
        box;
        l|l.
        one     ONE
        two     TWO
        three   THREE
        .TE
        .in -5n

Personally, I like the tables centered, but if the original book had them
left justified, and that's what people want, I'm fine with it.  It's an
easy fix to get them that way.

Jon Snader