Re: [Groff] three questions on m.tmac, escapes and locale

From: Robert Suetterlin
Subject: Re: [Groff] three questions on m.tmac, escapes and locale
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:02:03 +0200

Excuse me everybody,

        but I just have to ask a second time about the meaning of mm
address@hidden@ mm/address@hidden@_]locale.
> > 2) I looked at mmse to produce a similar mmde.  But in the process found
> > out,
> > that by setting @language to de, mm (or mmse, mmde) would source
> > mm/de_locale.  So why shouldn't I use de_locale to have all the
> > differences and just put ``.ds @language de'' in the top of my rof files
> > containing german documents.
>
> Yes, that's the idea. 'locale' is a general local file and
> XX_locale is the language specific one.
So all the local changes --- meaning specific to that installation of
groff on that computer, e.g. company stuff, special headers, logos, etc
--- go into mm/locale.
        Everything specific to a language, but not to a country or specific
local environment should go into mm/@address@hidden  E.g. the names of
monthes, or weekdays, but not the format specific stuff, like how to
adress in a formal letter (original ``To whom it may concern'').
        All things that are typical of a specific country like Germany and
are like official rules when it comes to official letters should go into
a new macro mmde.

Did I get this right, or is the logical structure of the mm macro
package different?  Is there a written version of the basic ideas behind
mm?  Or something like a letter of intent, i.e. how it is all meant to
work?

Sincerely, Robert S.

--
Robert Suetterlin (address@hidden)
phone: (+49)89 / 30000-3546   fax: (+49)89 / 30000-3950