[Groff] UTP - time to jumpstart it

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: [Groff] UTP - time to jumpstart it
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:02:46 -0400

Progress on the UTP Transcription Project seems to have stalled
out since I went on vacation. The UTP page[1] has the current status
and links to marked-up source (or plain text if the markup isn't
done).

On my end of things, Lars Segerlund had the great idea to run
the manual through -Thtml. The results were less than presentable
using groff 1.17.2; I'm going to try it again with 1.18. (But
being somewhat fanatical about clean HTML, I just don't like the
idea of converting tables to graphics. I'll live with it though.)

I noticed that ESR released version 1.0.0 of doclifter[2], which
purports to convert groff markup to DocBook. It requires Python 2.2,
another upgrade I need. ESR claims that the generated DocBook is
pretty clean, requiring not much manual correction; it also can
convert tbl markup. If doclifter is all it's cracked up to be,
that might be a better way to get decent HTML: convert to DocBook
first, use Jade to transform that to HTML.

In any case, I'd like to wrap UTP up so we can start updating it.

[1] http://www.alltel.net/~kollar/utp/
[2] http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/doclifter/
--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the