Re: [Groff] Re: Resource forks in OSX

From: Rob Scovell
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Resource forks in OSX
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:23:15 +1200

Thank you, Alejandro.

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 10:53 AM, Alejandro López-Valencia wrote:
First, you'll notice that in the first column there are no two-letter
abbreviations, therefore you can't use strings such as \['a] or \('a for
an aacute but rather \[decimalcode], e.g., \[43] for umlaut; you
probably forgot to use the text encoding map or (even better yet) to
create your own encoding map for this font when generating the metrics
file. You could use use more meaningful names, say \[ehook] for ehook
instead who knows what codepoint number it has in that font :).

Yes -- I used an empty text encoding map, as per the instructions in Ted's original post:

"   mapfile:

   touch null_mapfile

   (Normally, the mapfile gives pairs PS-name groff-name but
   IPA is so nasty it's better to leave this issue aside at this stage)."

I am referring to the chars in my test file by number:

[strathfillan:~/groff_fonts] rob% cat testipa.gr
.ft IPA
\N'123'
\N'68'
[strathfillan:~/groff_fonts] rob%

Second, as this is definitely not a text font, and therefore it doesn't
have the four different styles as expected (roman, bold, italic,
bolditalic) you should generate the metrics file as *special* and add it
as such in the DESC file.

¿Que? I have RTFM and I can't see how to do this. I have put 'special' in the font file and that doesn't work:

[strathfillan:~/groff_fonts] rob% head /usr/share/groff/font/devps/IPA
name IPA
internalname Times-PhoneticAlternate
special
spacewidth 250
kernpairs
charset
space   250     0       0040
---     250,82,190      3       0042    -- lowrising
---     500,700 3       0043    -- umlaut
---     333,656 3       0044    -- macron
[strathfillan:~/groff_fonts] rob%

Rob