Re: [Groff] Broken character widths in default font

From: Egil Kvaleberg
Subject: Re: [Groff] Broken character widths in default font
Date: 14 Nov 2002 07:20:00 +0100

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 15:55, Robert D. Goulding wrote:

> The pdfwriter in the 7.x series
> of ghostscript is broken - fi and fl ligatures come out with incorrect
> metrics, sometimes overwriting the next character, sometimes leaving a
> large gap.

>  For all I know, this may be the case with ø as well.

You are entirely correct!

Investigating closer (didn't have time when I saw it), the problem does
not appear in the generated Postscript. But running ps2pdf, it
occurs in the PDF. Not every time, but often enough. It does not seem to
occur in trivial test documents.

The same problem appears when viewing with xpdf, gv and acroread, and my
printer saw the same problem, so it is obviously with the PDF generator.

>  For all I know, this may be the case with ø as well.

I've only seen the problem with the upper case variant, Ø (which is 216
in ISO-8859-1).

Anyway, this quite effectively points the finger away from groff!

Egil

PS: Seems to be a known problem, then? Do you know more about it? Is
someone looking at it?
--
Email: address@hidden
Voice/videophone: +47 22523641 Voice: +47 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899