Re: [Groff] Proposal for raster graphics extensions to gpic

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Proposal for raster graphics extensions to gpic
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:03:31 +0000

Hi Egil,

I think we're in agreement here...

> > pic alone is the wrong place.
>
> It is impossible to implement images in pic alone, because pic is a
> preprocessor to troff. Which means that images must also appear and be
> implemented in groff.
>
> But my idea is that pic should be the preferred, easy, structured and
> versatile way.

...except that you keep focusing on pic because you don't wish people to
use raster images in any other way.

> The idea is to use the right tool for the job. It is possible to build
> tables directly in groff, but tbl does it so much better, so tbl is
> the right tool for the job. Similar with images of any kind. (g)pic is
> the right tool for making vector graphicsm

It's one tool.  Have you come across IDEAL?  A lot more flexible in many
ways.

> and my idea was that with a few extensions it could also become the
> *right* tool for raster images.

No argument from here that pic should support troff's new raster image
support.  That would make it *one* tool for raster images  :-)

Ralph.