[Groff] Definite bug in MM macros' margin handling

From: James J. Ramsey
Subject: [Groff] Definite bug in MM macros' margin handling
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 08:24:02 -0800 (PST)

I think I got bitten by the same bug that got Daniele
Furlan. MM's VM macro doesn't control what it's
supposed to control. As far as I can tell, the bug
does not seem to be in the VM macro itself, but rather
that the registers set by VM aren't used properly.

These three files have apparently identical top and
bottom margins

testnoVM.mm:

.PH 'Foo'Bar'Bar'
.PF 'Tom'Dick'Harry'
.P
This is a test
.P
This is a test
.P
This is a test.
.P
Extra header size is \n[pg*extra-header-size]
.P
Extra footer size is \n[pg*extra-footer-size]

testVM.mm:
.PH 'Foo'Bar'Bar'
.PF 'Tom'Dick'Harry'
.VM 72000u 72000u
.P
This is a test
.P
This is a test
.P
This is a test.
.P
Extra header size is \n[pg*extra-header-size]
.P
Extra footer size is \n[pg*extra-footer-size]

testVM-T.mm:

.PH 'Foo'Bar'Bar'
.PF 'Tom'Dick'Harry'
.VM -T 72000u 72000u