[Groff] Question on -me 2 cols

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: [Groff] Question on -me 2 cols
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:24:04 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to do something which is (I hope) pretty simple: put a dividing
line between two columns, using -me.  I've tried various ways, but can't
quite get it right.  It *seems* to me that it should be easy:  the $H
macro is called at the top of each column, so we should be able to test
which column we're in via the register \n($c; if we're in the first
column, place a margin character, otherwise don't.  As you see from the
example below, the divider is put next to the first column, but then next
to all subsequent columns.  I also attempted to do this with a trap,
replacing lines 2-6 of my example with:

.wh 8 change-marg
.de change-marg
.ie (\\n($c=1) \
.mc \[BAR]
.el .mc
..

(The value of 8 was by trial and error - 7 has no effect, anything even
slightly larger has the same effect as 8).

This *almost* works, but unwanted spacing appears at the beginning of some
columns, and the dividing line is one line out.  Can someone give me some
guidance on this?

Robert.

.char \[BAR] \v'-1'\L'1.5v'
.de $H
.ie (\\n($c=1) \
.mc \[BAR]
.el .mc
..
.2c
.lp
The Quality of mercy is not strained.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
The quality of mercy is not strained.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
The rain in spain
.pp
falls mainly on the plain.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
The quality of mercy is not strained.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
The quality of mercy is not strained.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
The quality of mercy is not strained.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
.bc
The Quality of mercy is not strained.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
The quality of mercy is not strained.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
The quality of mercy is not strained.
The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.
This is just some rubbish.
And a little more.
.bp