Re: [Groff] refer and Dutch names

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer and Dutch names
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:18:34 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Christian Jensen wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone know how to handle Dutch (and other) names like "'t Hart",
> which are alphabetized under 'H' but printed as shown? I have the
> following entry in my bibliographic database:
> %A Johan \'t\ Hart
> %D 2003
> %T The title
> When I run this through grefer and groff (-me) with appropriate .R1 -
> .R2 settings it produces
> 't Hart (2003): The title.
> correctly, but under 'T' in the final, sorted references. Is there a way
> to 'cheat' refer into sorting "'t Hart" under 'H'?

This seems to work:

Add another field for the problematic entries, say %Z, which contains the
term under which the reference should be sorted:

%Z Hart

Then put these lines between the .R1 .R2:

sort Z1A1

or however you want it sorted.  Note, you only need the Z field for
entries which do not follow refer's standard alphabetization.  I tried
this out with the following refer file, entitled t.ref:

%A Johan \'t\ Hart
%D 2003
%T The Title
%Z Hart

%A Robert Goulding
%T My Book
%D 2002

%A Samuel Iguana
%T A book
%D 1884

and the following file:

database t.ref
sort Z1A1

't Hart appears between Goulding and Iguana, as expected.  BTW, why use \'
instead of just '?  Is it normal Dutch typography to have an acute accent
like that?

Something I just noted.  If I add a `reverse A' line, I start getting
error messages.  It seems that refer won't allow any escape character in a
name.  Can that be right?