Re: [Groff] Why are pic pictures hanging at the TeX-baseline?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Why are pic pictures hanging at the TeX-baseline?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:10:09 +0200 (CEST)

> there is still/yet another TeX issue with pic -t: Inline pictures
> like A\hbox{\box\graph}B are not _standing_ on the baseline of the
> letters, as it is standard in TeX (with \epsbox} or LaTeX (with
> \includegraphics).  Instead pic -t pictures are _hanging_ down from
> the baseline: Their \ht = 0, and they have nonzero \dp (see my
> former E-Mails end of 2002 with the same topic).  This causes also
> vertical spacing changes (e. g. towards captions) within the figure
> float-environment.

I can't change that without breaking backwards compatibility.

> I tried the old patch with the fresh tex.cpp, it is simply:
>
> [...]

You can get the same effect by applying this code to the picture right
before using it:

  \def\gpicbox#1{%
    \expandafter\setbox\csname #1\endcsname
      \vbox{\expandafter\unvbox\csname #1\endcsname\kern 0pt}

  \gpicbox{graph}

I'll mention it in pic.ms and pic.man.