Re: [Groff] small bug in tbl

From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] small bug in tbl
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:56:00 -0500

At 09:57 a.m. 28/04/2003, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> Data tables usually are set with three horizontal lines with
> different thickness, the convention is something like this:
>
> ---------------------------------- <- 0.5pt thick
>         Optional table title
> column      entry            names
> ---------------------------------- <- 1pt thick
> data1       data2         data3
> ---------------------------------- <- 0.75pt thick

Never heard of this convention (to be honest, I think it's
rather stupid), but how about something like this (you might
still need to fiddle with the vertical spacing somewhat):

Silly or not, it is rather a classical presentation form in academic typesetting. It does depend a lot on the publishing house and the material presented. Randomly sampling my library I can tell that...

Cornell University Press uses:

------ 1pt
head
------ 0.5pt
data
------ 0.5pt

Oxford University Press uses:

------ 1pt
head
------ 0.5pt
data
------ 1pt

while Harvard University Press does all lines in 0.5pt.

On the other hand, Cambridge University Press and Wiley do it thusly:

=
Head
_
Data
=

all 0.75pt.

Classic metal type mathematical typesetting would use one of the forms above and the following form for presenting mathematical and statistical models:

---------------------------- 1pt
head
---------------------------- 0.5pt
partial modeling equations
summary modeling equations

This style appears in some classical books on statistics published in the late 40s and 50s I have inherited...

As you can see all are different but there is an underlaying esthetic theme, that you can find as well in academic journals published in the US, Canada, the UK, The Netherlands, Germany, France, Australia...[1]

Now, the style I mentioned in my previous email is one that was used frequently in the UK in the 60s and 70s, and I happen to like it better; as the old Cervantine saying goes: "Entre gustos no hay disgustos." ("Between different tastes there are no quarrels").

.de HR

Hmmm... I never considered using a macro. Thanks!

[1] Academics *are* very conservative bunch when it comes to things considered trivial, such as how our work is printed (Mathematicians are a common exception, I am an obsessive-compulsive exception ;-).