Re: [Groff] Need help with package creation

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Need help with package creation
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:24:11 +0100

Hi Larry,

> Obviously, groff is picking up the install directory and using it as
> the default environment. Is there any way to decouple the install
> prefix & environment prefix, so I can install groff into a clean
> directory & build the package? Am I making any sense at all?

Yep.  Try, on a clean area,

    ./configure &&
    make all check &&
    make prefix=/tmp/groffpkg install

configure's --prefix sets the run-time location, which is also used by
default by make's install target -- fair enough.  You can override that
at install time without effecting the path built into the installables.

I think I've got the above lines right.  GNU Stow uses this technique
all the time, it's documentation will cover it.

Cheers,

Ralph.