Re: [Groff] Bugs in grohtml

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bugs in grohtml
Date: 29 May 2003 14:26:58 +0100

"James J. Ramsey" <address@hidden> writes:

> If I groff the XWrits man page
> (http://www.lcdf.org/xwrits) with the options "-man
> -Thtml), the HTML version of the man page looks mostly
> OK, but is wrongly formatted in a few places.
>
> This is how a part of the HTML man page looks in
> Konqueror:
>
> xwrits
> flashtime=:2
> after=10
> flashtime=:.03
>
> This is how it looks in w3m:
>
> xwrits
> flashtime
> =:2 after=
> 10
> flashtime
> =:.03

the first bug looks like the diversion and space bug that Werner (and
others) have reported. It all points in the direction of being _the_
grohtml bug which needs to be solved (the tags emitted from troff to
aid grohtml are incorrect). The trouble is the massive complexity
(which is kind of fun), but I don't fully understand all the issues
(yet)..

> Trying to get HTML output from -mom formatted
> documents smoked out another bug in grohtml. Running
> the example document typewrite.mom through groff with
> the "-mom -Thtml" flags gets me a lot of error
> messages, but the interesting one seems to be this
> one:
>
> /path/to/tmac/om.tmac:109: warning: macro `END' not
> defined (probably missing space after `EN')
>
> This seems to be the product of the style of macro
> defs in om.tmac. .MAC is an alias for .de, and macros
> are typically defined as
>
> .MAC FOO END
> .\" Do stuff
> .END
>
> grohtml doesn't seem to understand that .de can have a
> second argument, or what it's for.

this is weird, I suspect either trivial to fix or highly complex, not
in the middle ground..

Gaius