Re: [Groff] escaping punctuation in mdoc pages

From: Ruslan Ermilov
Subject: Re: [Groff] escaping punctuation in mdoc pages
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:22:54 +0300

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 10:34:36AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > OK, now I'm confused. I don't have to escape punctuation in macros?
> >
> > .Ic ?
> >
> > does *not* mark up.
> Oops!  I thought of `groff control characters', sorry.
> Here a complete list of punctuation characters which are handled
> specially by mdoc (this is, if an mdoc macro sees a single character
> of this list as an argument):
>   . , : ; ( ) [ ] ? !
> To suppress special handling, add `\&' as a postfix, e.g. `?\&'.
Doesn't really matter, but I prefer to use prefix, though from
the troff perspective, postfix is more natural, agreed.  :-)
Point: it's easier to understand "escape it with \&" than
"postfix it with \&".

> Ruslan, can you document this better in
This is basically already documented in the General Syntax section
of the aforementioned manpage.  What's probably missing is the lists
of recognized opening and closing punctuation characters.  Should I
add these?

Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA,
address@hidden          Sunbay Software Ltd,
address@hidden          FreeBSD committer