Re: [Groff] How to create updates for revised edition of book?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to create updates for revised edition of book?
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:46:44 +0100

Hi Greg,

> > How about using GhostScript to print each page to a PNM file, use
> > netpbm, e.g. pnmcut(1), to strip off the outside-print-area markup,
> > and then compare the images of each page from the before and after
> > `printouts'.  As long as the resolution is suitably high enough it
> > should catch small changes.
>
> Hmm.  The slightest change of position could create false positives.
> I suspect that's too much work.

Given that groff's deterministic wouldn't we expect any change, however
slight, to have a good reason, i.e. a change in the document source?
It's easy to try this approach and see if there's false positives in
practice.  If there are then it may help show unexpected consequences of
some of the edits.

Cheers,

Ralph.