Re: [Groff] OT [= Old Thread ..!]: PDF problems - see attached f

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] OT [= Old Thread ..!]: PDF problems - see attached f
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:38:29 +0100 (BST)

On 28-Sep-03 Bernhard Fisseni wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>
> Scripsit Ted Harding die 28/09/2003 (15:37 +0100):
>
>> I see this problem was discussed back in May 2002:
>>
>>   http://www.ffii.org/archive/mails/groff/2002/May/0102.html
>>
>> (et seq.)
>>
>> Namely, that in distilling groff's PS output to PDF using ps2pdf
>> from the Ghostscript 7.* series, there were rendering problems.
>> Specifically, in that query, ligature characters came out with
>> what can be described a wrong kerning (too much, or too little,
>> space following the characters; and this seemd to occur after the
>> break from page 1 to page 2.
>
> For me, the problem was solved when I used epstopdf (a gs wrapper
> script by Sebastian Rahtz distributed e.g. with teTeX) with gs 7;

Thanks! I had not thought of going down this line, and it does seem
to solve the problem (at any rate for what I tried it with).

Despite being eps2pdf, it does not seem to mind being handed a multipage
PS document with no BoundingBox information (though it complains about
the latter).

Since epstopdf also calls gs, like ps2pdf does, I am wondering what
the difference in the call is, that makes the differemce in PDF
output.

Hmmm.

Thanks again, and best wishes,
Ted.