[Groff] Re: Error in meref.me?

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: [Groff] Re: Error in meref.me?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:18:32 -0500

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 02:42 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I find that, in order to put the chapter/appendix number in the
header, I need a command like:

  .++ A '\\\\\\\\n(ch''
I have never used -me, so I can't verify that.  But what about using
`\E' instead of `\e'?

  .++ RA '''\En[ch].%'

Yes, it does work - thank you. I've never tried it because I never really understood what \E did - am I right to say that this a backslash which is *only* interpreted at the very last moment, and is passed through however many levels of copy mode without interpretation? So, conceivably, it could be used *whenever* traditional troff doubles backslashes? If so, perhaps a note to that effect could be put in the groff_tmac manpage, and it could be made a little more explicit in groff info.

Suggested change to groff_tmac.5. At the end of the section on "Copy-in mode":

.P
As a GNU extension, the entire problem of when to double backslashes can be circumvented by using the \[rs]E escape sequence.
.
This is, in effect, a backslash which is only interpreted at the last possible moment.
.
Thus, in the example of positional parameters above, one can write \[rs]E$* instead of \[rs]\[rs]$*.
.
This alternative form becomes particularly useful when an escape sequence must copied-in two or three times.
.
Traditional
.B troff
then requires four or eight backslashes in order to prevent interpretation;
in GNU troff, a  single \[rs]E will suffice.