Re: [Groff] german localisation

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] german localisation
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:32:13 +0000

Hi Joerg,

> 3.  ".*" does not work everywhere to identify the pattern. I don't
> remember what exactly is hit by "." but a "\" seems not be included,
> at least. and I think a blank is a hit, therefore to successive
> patterns are not handled as to separate entities. anyway some patterns
> 'slip through'. I replaced the  "." by an explicit list of characters
> possible in the pattern (is this complete?).

In case you're interested, `.' in a sed pattern does indeed match a
backslash.

    $ perl -le 'print join("", map { chr $_ } 0..255)' |
    > sed 's/./x/g' |
    > od -c
    0000000  \0   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x  \n   x   x   x   x   x
    0000020   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x
    *
    0000400  \n
    0000401

Cheers,