[Groff] New release of mom macros

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: [Groff] New release of mom macros
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:58:02 -0500

Hi, all.

I've posted a new tarball release of the mom macros (v. 1.1.7-a) at

    http://www.ncf.ca/~df191/mom.html

Werner has also committed the patches to the groff repository.

The two main changes to mom are:

    1. Increased flexibility in the handling of headers for DOCTYPE
       LETTER (the .DATE, .FROM and .TO fields);

    2. More options to SMARTQUOTES.

The new letter handling now allows entering date, from and to in any
order users desire.  By default, each is set as a block, flush left,
page left, with a single blank line between.  The default placement
can be overridden by invoking .RIGHT immediately after the field
macro, e.g.

    .FROM
    .RIGHT
    <address>

which will set the field flush right, page right.  The default
spacing can be changed by placing a spacing request *at the end* of
the field, e.g.

    .FROM
    .RIGHT
    <address>
    .SPACE -1v \" Or .SP -1v, or .RLD -1v, or .sp -1v
    .DATE
    .RIGHT
    <date>

which would place the date immediately underneath the "from"
address.

Hopefully, this will solve the problem of differing correspondence
styles used in different parts of the world.

Users with correspondence created prior to 1.1.7-a can continue to
create letters following the older style (.DATE, .FROM, .TO) and
have them come out exactly as before, namely with the date
automatically set flush right/page right followed by 2 blank lines,
then "from" and "to" flush left/page left with a single blank line
between.

I've also made it possible to pass a 2-letter iso 639 language
identifier as an argument to SMARTQUOTES, so users writing in,
say, Swedish, can do .SMARTQUOTES SV and have "text" come out as
>>text>>.  Currently supported quoting styles are Danish, German,
Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese and Swedish.
Writers in North American English need only enter .SMARTQUOTES, by
itself, to get "text" to come out as ``text''.

Aside from these changes, I did some code cleanup.  I'm hoping the
cleanup hasn't broken anything.  If it has (i.e. if anomalies show
up), please let me know.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of _The Schumann Proof_, appearing fall, 2004
(pub. RendezVous Press, Canada)