[Groff] Re: Spam and virus cruft on address@hidden

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: Spam and virus cruft on address@hidden
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:31:45 +0200 (CEST)

>     Ted> It would seem that my email address is being
>     Ted> spoofed as the "From:" address. The headers in the messages
>     Ted> indicate that the source is 82.50.102.82 and similar IP
>     Ted> addresses which belong to the "interbusiness.it" domain.
>
> Indeed. interbusiness.it is a notorious spam source that everyone
> should have blacklisted years ago.

I believe that `blacklisting' is the wrong action in general.  For
example, there are millions of users in Taiwan's hinet.net domain
which has been famous for spamming a longer time ago.  Blocking this
domain disables far too much normal users.

> However this is beside the point. The mailing list server should
> have adequate anti-spam defences in place. Blatant forgeries like
> this and obvious spam/virus drivel simply should not be getting
> relayed to the list. I have complained about this a couple of times
> to the list manager and postmaster. There has been no reply.

It is possible that I've missed your message, sorry.

> This is very disturbing. It suggests that nobody is really looking
> after the mailing list.

I do, but I'm not an administrator and can only remove spam which has
been filtered out already, or approve mail which didn't come
through :-(

> The silence also implies nothing is being done to improve the list's
> clearly inadequate anti-spam measures. Is there anyone at ffii.org
> who cares about this? What's being done to improve the situation? Is
> it time to find a new home for the list?

I'm begging since months (well, since years actually) that some simple
actions are taken, but the pace is extremely slow -- ffii.org is
managed by volunteers...  I would like to avoid switching to a new
host, but apparently the situation is getting worse daily.

Note that today viruses are released in such short intervals that even
professionally managed hosts are losing the battle (at least for one
or two days until new filters are installed).