Re: [Groff] Large Files

From: Mikko Työläjärvi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Large Files
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:18:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Deri James wrote:

> When running 'groff -p' on a large troff file (8711683017 bytes) I get:-
>
> pic:fatal error: can't open `/var/tmp/large.trf': File too large
>
> I can successfully process this file by doing:-
>
> groff -p < large.trf
>
> but I wondered whether there are any internal constraints it may be
> breaking!!! I am running on Linux with a 2..6 kernel  and an 'ext3'
> filesystem (so "large" files are supported).

Unless compiled with the right magic flags glibc is probably still
using a 32-bit interface.  Do an "info libc" and search for
"LARGEFILE".  You should find two or three macros that can be
defined whe compiling in order to make the code use the 64-bit
interfaces instead.

Sorry to be a bit vague on the details - I don't have a linux box
handy at the moment, and FreeBSD does not have these problems :-)

   $.02,
   /Mikko