Re: [Groff] ".if '...'...' \# comments ..." Bug?

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] ".if '...'...' \# comments ..." Bug?
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:08:42 -0500

At 09:18 a.m. 11/04/2004, Andrew J. Piziali wrote:
   I noticed an odd behavior using groff 1.18 with the .if request and
'...'...' expression.  The following request sequence operates as
expected:

    .if '\*[FunctionalVerificationAspectsFigure]'' \
    .  ds FunctionalVerificationAspectsFigure 999

If string register FunctionalVerificationAspectsFigure is null, the .ds
request initializes it.  However, when the .if request has \# comment
appended to the line:

    .if '\*[FunctionalVerificationAspectsFigure]'' \# formatting of this
    .  ds FunctionalVerificationAspectsFigure 999

the .ds request is unconditionally executed, independent of the value of
FunctionalVerificationAspectsFigure.

   I thought the \#, and everything following it, was supposed to be
ignored so that groff sees one line:

.if '\*[FunctionalVerificationAspectsFigure]'' . ds FunctionalVerificationAspectsFigure 999

There is no bug. You have no line break sign in your second example; just an inlined comment. And, if groff worked with the syntax you expect... Now, *that* would be a bug [I leave the demonstration to the reader; see groff(7)].

Cheers

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/