[Groff] -ms Heading Macro Margin

From: Andrew J. Piziali
Subject: [Groff] -ms Heading Macro Margin
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:45:58 -0500 (CDT)

   I would like to position each level one section heading in an -ms
document 1.75" from the top of a page.  I currently use the following
code in a macro wrapped around .NH :

    .if (\\$1 = 1) \{\
    .  NH \\$1
    '  ce 1
    \&\\$2
    .  sp 0.5i
    .\}

Any attempt to insert ".sp 1.75i" or ".sp |1.75i" is ignored.  When I
inserted \v'1.75i' ahead of \&\\$2, the section header was positioned
properly but the subsequent paragraph was formatted on top of it!

   Any recommendations here?

   Thank you.

--

                                                       / \