Re: [Groff] Re: Adding styles to DESC

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Adding styles to DESC
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:49:28 -0400

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > I mean, how often does one, working in, say, Helvetica Medium
> > Italic, want to switch completely to Garamond and preserve the font
> > weight/style at Medium Italic?
>
> All LaTeX users expect this. :-)  Its a natural consequence if you
> handle all font selection parameters independently.

Then I guess I'd have made a good LaTeX user, since I like handling
font selection parameters independently. :) But here I am, addicted
to groff.

> The LaTeX people have found a very sophisticated solution for font
> selection by separating the font name components with `/'.  For
> example, Adobe Times Roman Bold Italic is `ptm/m/it' (`ptm' is the
> family name, `m' for medium series , `it' for italic shape).
> Basically, something similar should be used for groff styles, say,
>
>   TR -> T-R
>   HNBI -> HN-BI

Perhaps, but I *really* don't like the idea of changing the current
setup of the font/devps directory, for reasons mentioned in my
other email.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of _The Schumann Proof_, appearing fall, 2004
(pub. RendezVous Press, Canada)