[Groff] (no subject)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:42:35 +0200 (CEST)

> > hcode ä ä Ä ä
> > hcode ö ö Ö ö
> > hcode ü ü Ü ü
> > hcode ß ß
>
> Believe it or not, as I added these four lines directly into to my
> test groff file it worked too, with my own latin-1 coded hyphenation
> pattern which seems to be quite similar to yours (probably identical).
> Actually I had read about .hcode, but I didn't understand what it was
> there for.  (I still don't understand it, but I can live with that).

What exactly is the problem?  Here is the documentation from
groff.texinfo:

 - Request: .hcode c1 code1 c2 code2 ...
     Set the hyphenation code of character C1 to CODE1, that of C2 to
     CODE2, etc.  A hyphenation code must be a single input character
     (not a special character) other than a digit or a space.
     Initially each lower-case letter (`a'-`z') has its hyphenation
     code set to itself, and each upper-case letter (`A'-`Z') has a
     hyphenation code which is the lower-case version of itself.

     This request is ignored if it has no parameter.

Can you suggest an improvement?

> Now, a tiny little problem: I have saved the tmac.de and hyphen.den
> into the .../tmac/ directory, but groff answers: "can't find
> hyphenation patterns file..."

This must not happen.

> then instead of the line
>
> .hpf hyphen.den
>
> I must use the line
>
> .hpf /usr/share/groff/1.17.2/tmac/hyphen.den

Are you actually using version 1.17.2 of groff?  I suggest that you
you install your local macros to

  /usr/share/groff/site-tmac

which is also scanned by groff.

> All of the other configuration and a lot of macor files reside in
> this directory and seem to become found by groff, just not this one
> file.  How can that be?

Use

  strace troff ...  &> troff.log

and look for calls to `open', then you know exactly where troff
searches the files.