[Groff] Hyphenation in German

From: Ulf Bro
Subject: [Groff] Hyphenation in German
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 20:48:58 +0200

This we discussed so far:

>> Now, a tiny little problem: I have saved the tmac.de and hyphen.den
>> into the .../tmac/ directory, but groff answers: "can't find
>> hyphenation patterns file..."

>This must not happen.

>> then instead of the line
>>
>> .hpf hyphen.den
>>
>> I must use the line
>>
>> .hpf /usr/share/groff/1.17.2/tmac/hyphen.den

>Are you actually using version 1.17.2 of groff? I suggest that you you
>install your local macros to

>/usr/share/groff/site-tmac
>which is also scanned by groff.

>> All of the other configuration and a lot of macor files reside in
>> this directory and seem to become found by groff, just not this one
>> file. How can that be?

>Use

>strace troff ... &> troff.log

>and look for calls to `open', then you know exactly where troff searches the
>files.

Thank you for being so kind as to help me along with this one too.

I am using the German SuSE Linux 9.1 which was recently released and so I
thought all software were up to date. (SuSE 9.1 is very bad and I am very
angry. But that is another story).

But, when I searched for the newest rpm of Groff I didn't find one, so I
downloaded what I could find (at ffii). I made the mistake not to remove the
old Groff first. Therefore the old files are still on my computer. After
having done like you said and used "strace" it turns out that other
directories are used. These are:

/usr/local/share/groff/1.19/

etc.

So what I did was to copy hyphen.den and tmac.de first to:

/usr/local/share/groff/site-tmac/

then, as it still didn't work, to

/usr/local/share/groff/1.19/tmac/

The file mode has been set to -rw-r--r-- in boch cases.

It still doesn't work like we may expect it to.

Do you have another advice?

Once again, thank you for all your help so far. Whenever I finish doing the
work I intend to do with Groff I will surely contribute any macros or
whatever I can do, to the Groff community.

Ulf