Re: [Groff] poll: which macro packages are in common use / and why.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] poll: which macro packages are in common use / and why.
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:39:38 +0200 (CEST)

> As Ted has noted, it is possible for the resolution of references in
> pass two to cause small rearrangements in the document layout, which
> can result in page numbers being off by one.  In my experience, this
> can be avoided by running *three* passes, rather than two [...]

TeX does exactly the same.  In some very rare circumstances it is
possible that references are `jumping' between two pages; you then
have to reformulate the paragraph to avoid that.

> One problem I have noted with this strategy -- and it's exacerbated
> by the requirement to store a significant volume of mapping
> co-ordinates for the bounding boxes of PDF link hot-spots -- is that
> it is possible to overflow the available string space, causing groff
> to abort with an 'input stack overflow error'.

Hmm, groff has an unlimited amount of string space.  There is no
`input stack overflow' error at all.  What does exist is `input stack
limit exceeded', caused by too many nested macros (the limit is set to
1000 which is should be sufficient IMHO).  Can you provide a small
example for further analysis?