Re: [Groff] win32 experiences?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] win32 experiences?
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:00:04 +0200 (CEST)

> > 0x0D is handled as a normal input character in tbl.  I wonder
> > whether I shall I use libgroff's `invalid_input_char' (as in
> > troff, pic and eqn)...
> >
> > Do you know any reason why this is missing?
> >

> No idea.  I would think that if handling 0x0D as an
> `invalid_input_char' hasn't affected the ability of OSX users to
> process their files it wouldn't hurt to use in all the
> preprocessors.

Well, the GNU troff code handles `\n', whatever it is.  *Then* it
complains about 0x0D if it is still there.  With other words, on Mac
platforms GNU troff never sees 0x0D.  At least this is what I think --
please correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking again into the code I see that GNU troff always uses "r" for
opening an input file.  This means that CRLF on DOS/Windows platforms
should always be translated to \n, right?  So I have no clue why you
have problems with tbl.  Can you investigate this further?  Or do I
have to explicitly use "rt"?  This is neither POSIX nor ANSI C, AFAIK.