[Groff] Re: some details missing from your patch

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: some details missing from your patch
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:11:25 +0100 (CET)

A month ago I requested:

> > Please send me documentation diffs for the `.tag' and `.taga'
> > requests and the new -s option for grohtml.

In your answer you write:

  [...]

  The @code{tag} request emits a device special ditroff command
  @emph{without} any space between itself and the next glyph.
  Importantly it is also issued immediately after the previous troff
  state (if any were emitted).

If I understand that correctly, tags issued with `.tag' are emitted
twice under particular circumstances, right?  Can you provide a small
example?

  The @code{taga} request delays emitting the special to the device
  driver until the @code{troff} state changes. The @code{troff} state
  is defined as the combination of:

As a continuation of my other mail to the list I wonder whether it
makes sense to have three actually tag commands:

  .tag -- a new request which is really the equivalent to \X'...'.

  .tag1 -- this is currently called .tag

  .taga -- stays the same

What do you think?