Re: [Groff] Re: gpic question?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: gpic question?
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:06:42 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

gpic and pic are fine programs, but what if one needs to draw a circuit schematic? xcircuit you say? I find even xcircuit lacking as regards the built-in set of symbols. So what is necessary? A portable gpic frontend to ease some burden of our shoulders, supporting a truck-load of symbols maybe... As far as the gpic library is concerned I am all ears. Werner, Larry Kollar, you there? What say you?

Uh-oh, now I'm an expert. :-)

I use xfig for line drawings, even for stuff that ends up in my FrameMaker-based documentation at the day job. It provides a small library of schematic drawings; I think the xfig.org website provides others. For banging out one-off line drawings, it works pretty well, and can export to pic format as well as EPS (thereby future-proofing my diagrams as I transition away from Frame).

A pic symbol library is a great idea, especially for those of us who are *not* pic experts....
--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"