Re: [Groff] groff CVS now needs texinfo 4.8

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff CVS now needs texinfo 4.8
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:14:25 +0000

On Monday 14 February 2005 5:29 am, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> In the CVS I've updated groff.texinfo to use texinfo 4.8 --
> unfortunately, it no longer works with older versions (causing an
> endless loop on my Linux box which finally aborts due to a segfault).

This is bad news, for those of us building groff on MS-Windows :-(

To get 'makeinfo' for Win32, I am using Kees Zeelenberg's GnuWin32 port of
texinfo, which is currently at version 4.6.  Unfortunately, Kees doesn't
donate his patches back to the originating GNU projects -- official texinfo
4.8 sources don't build with my MSYS/MinGW tool chain -- and I don't have
time to devote to porting it myself :-(

I guess the interim work around, until Kees ports texinfo 4.8, will be to
build first on my Linux box, and copy the generated info files to my Win32
build host, before invoking 'make';  for me, this will be a minor
inconvenience, but it won't help users who don't have access to a Linux box.

--

Best regards,
Keith.