[Groff] Re: grohtml and Cyrillic

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: grohtml and Cyrillic
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:36:39 +0100 (CET)

> > I wonder whether it makes sense to add an option to grohtml so
> > that no PS run is executed.  Instead of calling groff with -Tps it
> > should emit warning messages like `warning: table in line XXX
> > won't be converted'.  My question: Is this possible at all?
>
> certainly it is possible, but is there a way in which we can add the
> code above to ps.tmac and only invoke it when ps4html is set? Or map
> the Cyrillic glyphs (in ps.tmac) onto \(sq - similar to mozilla
> (when it cannot find the glyph).

Doing this we lose complete control whether there are missing glyphs
in the PS run.  This might be acceptable for on-the-fly viewing (as
with a Web browser), but IMHO such behaviour is not tolerable if an
HTML document is produced.

> If we disable the ps run, then images, equ, pic will also break in
> grohtml..

Yes.  Instead of running preprocessors, I would like to see warning
messages:

  PS run disabled.  Equation in line XXX is not converted to image.

A neat side effect would be faster creation of simple HTML documents.