Re: [Groff] Re: YaDCM (Yet another Drop Capital Macro)

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: YaDCM (Yet another Drop Capital Macro)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:53:13 +0000

>> Yes thanks Werner and in return I offer `Yet another Drop Capital
>> Macro'.

> *Very* nice!  This may be something for mom...

I agree, it is very nice indeed!

However, I see a couple of problems:-

1) it doesn't allow for pulling text back alongside a dropped `A'.

2) if there isn't enough following text to bring the paragraph
   baseline below the bottom of the dropped cap, and the following
   para also begins with a dropped cap, the indentation is messed
   up for subsequent paras.

Try the following, and you will see what I mean.  I've attached
another patch to address (1), but haven't had time to address (2).

<example>
.sp
.ps 16
.vs 20
.so dropcap.tmac
.defcolor darkblue rgb 0.1f 0.1f 0.3f
.dropcap An 4 darkblue R T -3n +1n
example of the use of Gaius' dropcap macro.
.sp 4
.dropcap When 4 darkblue R T 0 -0.5n -1n
appropriate adjustment parameters are specified,
it produces a rather nice effect, as we can see the
subsequent lines indented by -1n each line down
the drop capital. It is possible to append more
parameters to this macro, each parameter indicates
the relative indentation for the next line.
Therefore it is possible to make text pull in
and out of a drop capital I.
.sp
.dropcap In 7 darkblue R T 0 -1n 0 0 0 0 1n
an attempt to provide an example of the drop capital
macro I needed to write some text. This is always
problematic and I wish I could just hash include
some dummy text instead.
In an attempt to provide an example of the drop capital
macro I needed to write some text. This is always
problematic and I wish I could just hash include
some dummy text instead.
In an attempt to provide an example of the drop capital
macro I needed to write some text. This is always
problematic and I wish I could just hash include
some dummy text instead.
</example>

HTH.

Best regards,