[Groff] Broken chars

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: [Groff] Broken chars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:25:43 +0100 (MET)

Hello groff list,

I have observed that groff changes certain characters in manpages. I have
talked about that in Suse's/Novells bugzilla and should discuss it here.

For example, in perlcheat.1, the $| is changed into '$' and a vertical bar if
the locale is UTF-8.

real:   | (U+0x7C)
output: │ (U+0x2502)

This also to a number of other characters, including the backward apostrophe
(accent grave) ` (0x60) which is transformed into ‘ (U+0x2018). This is very
bad for copy+paste, and if your screen font does not have all the UTF8
characters (especially the case on bare 80x25 tty1 terminal), it does not even
show any apostrophe, but a block to indicate that 0x2018 is not available in
this font.

Is this a (big) bug in groff, or intention?

Jan Engelhardt